Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Sunburn Soother for Hot Spots on Dogs


My dogs are currently shedding which causes discomfort & some dry flaky skin. The Rat Terrier-Chihuahua mix, Lexi, had a terrible night a couple of nights ago, biting & scratching all night long. (Since she sleeps with me, neither of us got much sleep.) So yesterday morning I sprayed her down with Helichyrsum & Yarrow Hydrosols to help alleviate the symptoms & when I came home from work she was much better & her coat was nice & soft. She still had one big problem area near her tail which she would not leave alone, so as we neared bedtime, I remembered Marge’s new Sunburn Soother (a blend of Helichrysum, German Chamomile, Lavender, Aloe Vera Gel, & Jojoba Oil), & pulled up her hair in the trouble area & applied it, basically on the skin, & underneath the coat, massaging it in. I am happy to report that we all slept well last night & the Sunburn Soother seemed to give her relief from a constant itch over the past several days. Remember, a little goes a long way for use on a dog. (Lexi is about 16 pounds & I just used a couple of squirts from the pump.) I thought you might be interested in an alternative use for this product…it was a lifesaver (and sleep saver) for us last night! (BTW, as with any essential oils, not recommended for use on cats.) (Photo is of my other dog, Cooper, a Chi-Pom.)

1 comment:

Marge said...

For years I've said that the thing that works best on Max's rare and occassional hot spot (once a summer, at the base of his spine, just above his tail) is a spritz of Yarrow Hydrosol.

I'm trying to figure out how to include a picture of Max...and I don't think it's possible in a comment. Which displeases me immensely. He's feeling slighted.