Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A Secret Weapon for Summer Sunburn

I’ve accidentally come across a great secret weapon for summer sunburn in the event you stay out too long or forget to apply sunscreen & end up crispy & red. This has happened to me a few times this summer, out longer than expected, come home, & have the sense that I am going to burn. I spritzed a bit of Helichrysum Hydrosol on my arms & other affected areas as soon as I walked in the door. The next day instead of the massive burn I was expecting, I was only slightly pink, & in no pain whatsoever. After experimenting on myself (unscientifically of course!) it seems that using the Helichrysum Hydrosol on the sun-exposed areas greatly tones down the impact of sunburn on my skin. Now, for burns I do recommend our Sunburn Soother, & had to use it once this summer when I forgot to do my Heli trick! It was a lifesaver in that case. Keeping Helichrysum Hydrosol around the house is a good idea for burns anyway, but using it to impede sunburn has worked for me. I recommend using your regular sunscreen of choice obviously to prevent any sunburn or exposure to UVA & UVB rays, but if you get in a pinch, the Helichyrsum Hydrosol is definitely worth a try. And for cooling off after mowing or other yard work, I suggest spritzing our Frankincense Hydrosol on your face & body. It will cool you down extremely fast & is refreshing as well. Here’s to enjoying a summer free from sunburn!

6 comments:

teah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

heli hydrosol is, well, awesome!

haven't used it for sunburn (don't really have a tendency towards burning & usually can't stand staying in the heat for that long), but heavy objects have been bashing into me of late(ie. bottom of heavy metal door, coffee table, other sharp objects), into especially painful areas such as finger & toe cuticles & a spray of heli & manuka honey has been doing wonders as an instant sooth & puff fighter & i think has helped speed up healing.

as i said above, heli hydrosol is awesome!

danielle.

Anonymous said...

heli hydrosol is, well, awesome!

haven't used it for sunburn (don't really have a tendency towards burning & usually can't stand staying in the heat for that long), but heavy objects have been bashing into me of late(ie. bottom of heavy metal door, coffee table, other sharp objects), into especially painful areas such as finger & toe cuticles & a spray of heli & manuka honey has been doing wonders as an instant sooth & puff fighter & i think has helped speed up healing.

as i said above, heli hydrosol is awesome!

danielle.

Sheryl said...

christi -
this is a bit of a sideline, but I slipped and fell down the stairs and got a burn/abrasion on my arm. I used the heli in coconut oil, but then the burn "cracked," creating an open wound. I continued to use the heli while the wound was healing, but I wasn't sure whether that was the best choice. Is heli okay for an open cut? If not, what do you suggest while the wound is open? If the heli is okay for an open wound, is there a suggested limit for how much you should use - e.g. I was putting it on 3 -4x/day to keep the wound lubricated and hoping it would heal quicker???

Thanks for the help, I'm new to heli and want to make sure I'm using it correctly - I'm concerned that there may be risks if I misuse it.

Marge said...

Sheryl, I'm always a bit concerned about using even well diluted essential oils on an open wound. That can be a sure setup for sensitization, which could prevent you from ever being able to use that oil again.

I know whereof I speak. I'm sensitized to Lavender, from unwise neat usage on broken skin.

teah said...

Delete Comment From: aromatherapy at Nature's Gift


teah said...
hey christi-
thanks for the heli hydrosol tip. i don't have sunburn issues, but i know plenty of folks who do. however i do have problems with heat exhaustion. as you know, george and i love to garden. but while he loves soaking up the heat i would rather work when it's cooler. sometimes that isn't possible and after a couple hours work i will find myself losing energy and struggling to finish a project. that's when i run for the house and take a quick cool shower with our revive shower gel. if you ever have heat problem try it. it's amazing relief in a hurry. here's another hint--if your feet get hot and tired from having on shoes all day, make a foot soak from the shower gel by adding it to a basin of bath salts dissolved in warm water. i guarentee your feet will be relaxed and tingly before you know it! revive is one of my favorite products from Nature's Gift, and because it might be considered a 'seasonal' product, we don't hear much about it. i consider it a well kept secret that i use year round, and have used for many years. it's a two way treat to beat the heat. : ) pampering and therapy all in one bottle!