Monday, October 26, 2009

There's A Mouse in the House

By Christi

Well, the wettest October on record in Middle Tennessee is resulting in furry critters aka field mice trying to take shelter indoors. For the first time in the 11 years since I bought my house, I have mice. I learned at Dollar General in my neighborhood that eradication products for mice are flying off the shelves due to the problem. I bought several types of traps, including the new "humane" type where you place food inside, set it up, the mouse walks in, & click, it snaps shut. You then take the mouse at least one mile away & free it. Oddly enough, I've caught two mice so far, & both with the humane trap containing some dry cat food. The others have eluded me & none have gone for the harsher traps (smart mice?) even though they contain peanut butter.

I decided this would be a good time to test the Peppermint Essential Oil theory in my house. For years there have been reports that mice HATE Peppermint Essential Oil. The method most recommended is putting the oil on cotton balls & placing them around the known places of entry. (or where you have seen mice droppings) Of course, you need to be mindful of household pets when placing the cotton balls. I also filled an atomizer with water, Peppermint, & a small amount of alcohol, & sprayed around doors, windows, etc. Will be interesting to see if Peppermint is a deterrent, once I get rid of all the mice that are currently scurrying around.



Any natural advice for getting rid of mice other than what I've mentioned?

1 comment:

Christi said...

Oh & btw, I had left my purse sized Kleen Handz on my coffee table at home. It should STAY in my purse.