One of the most frequent questions we get is, “Which book would you most recommend?” My response is usually, “What is the purpose you are looking for?” The fact is, there are several great Aromatherapy books which focus on various uses for essential oils. (There are also some not so great ones out there!) Of course I am partial to Marge’s book Essential Oils & Aromatics for obvious reasons…however, it IS a great overall book to reach for.
Here’s a list to help sort them out:
1) Marge’s Introduction to Aromatherapy Booklet (not quite a book but chock full of helpful information) with safety information, blending tips, and a few recipes. It travels easily in a purse or back pack & makes a great gift for those just starting out.
2) Marge’s Essential Oils & Aromatics, (also mentioned above), is a beautiful coffee table book as well as a practical guide to aromatherapy. It expands on information covered on the website & in the booklet.
Physical Uses of the Oils
1) Salvatore Battaglia’s Complete Guide to Aromatherapy, which I call my Aromatherapy “bible.” I find myself reaching for it daily for its wealth of
information about the oils & body systems. Yes, it is heavy & expensive, but
a worthwhile investment.
Spiritual & Emotional Uses
1) Gabriel Mojay’s Aromatherapy for Healing the Spirit explores the Eastern side of uses for the oils, body balance, & energetics. I never tire of pulling this book out to read & always learn something new when I do so.
2) Robbi Zeck’s The Blossoming Heart deals with emotional & spiritual uses. It is thoughtful & thorough & a complete delight. It is one of the first aromatherapy books I ever owned & I still use it regularly, particularly if I am in a funk or a friend is going through something & needs guidance. We also offer a companion “Energetic Oils Kit,” on the site, covering the oils mentioned in the book.
1) A subject near & dear to my heart is pet care & Kristin Leigh Bell’s Holistic Aromatherapy for Animals is the book to consider. Kristin is an experienced aromatherapist & is extremely knowledgeable. If you have pets & use aromatherapy, it is a must-have. (Note: We do not sell this book, but you may click thru our Amazon link to purchase.)
For a complete listing of books we have available visit our books page or for other books we recommend, visit our book reviews.