Monday, June 22, 2009

Aromatherapy for weight loss?

Seen in a recent New York Times article:

"About a year and a half ago, Bryan Raudenbush, an associate professor of psychology at Wheeling Jesuit University in Wheeling, W. Va., asked 40 people to sniff peppermint every two hours for five days. For another five days he gave them a placebo. During the week they sniffed peppermint, they consumed 1,800 fewer calories."

I've read many studies that various "food based" essential oils can help with appetite reduction and calorie control but this is the first study that I've seen backing it up.

I'm thinking this would be a wonderful use for one of our Deluxe Personal Inhalers. Add the above mentioned peppermint oil, or Spearmint? or Vanilla? I've seen all recommended. I've also seen Pink Grapefruit frequently recommended as a diet aid, but personally I think that it works by increasing your energy level, hence burning more calories.

Anyone have any experience to share on that?

8 comments:

wolfsaromatics said...

I'm on day 2 of trying this. so far i have been eating more, craving sweets. but we will keep going and see what happends

wolfsaromatics said...

Day 3 was better, no craving of sweets, and i did eat a little less.

teah said...

thanks for your updates, wolf.

wolfsaromatics said...

ok, now that day 4 is over of the peppermint sniff diet I found myself eating just as much, but of better foods, good greens, not a lot of stuff on them, and not being so hungry that I just grabbed something.

Marge said...

Am I the only one waiting for each day's report?

Synchronicity...have had 2 people email me this weekend about EO's for weight loss... am referring them to this post!

Anonymous said...

I'm watching this page with interest - but I'm going to try Pink Grapefruit too.

Keep up the good work

Anonymous said...

i´m just starting the plan to see what´s gonna happen. wait for my report of day 2. need some time to realize qhat´s really happening. so far, nothing has changed, not very fond of sweet, but really eating much more than usual lately. very stressed by this. see u

Anonymous said...

i´m just starting the plan to see what´s gonna happen. wait for my report of day 2. need some time to realize what´s really happening. so far, nothing has changed, not very fond of sweet, but really eating much more than usual lately. very stressed by this. see u