Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Cellulitis

CELLULITIS

From the Mayo Clinic: Cellulitis (sel-u-LI-tis) is a common, potentially serious bacterial skin infection. Cellulitis appears as a swollen, red area of skin that feels hot and tender, and it may spread rapidly.  Skin on lower legs is most commonly affected, though cellulitis can occur anywhere on your body or face. Cellulitis may affect only your skin's surface, or cellulitis may also affect tissues underlying your skin and can spread to your lymph nodes and bloodstream. Left untreated, the spreading infection may rapidly turn life-threatening. That's why it's important to seek immediate medical attention if cellulitis symptoms occur.

In midMarch Brenda Richardson wrote that her mother was struggling with Cellulitis on her legs. The infection was not responding to the oral antibiotics her mother was taking, and Brenda, as a nurse, knew how difficult Cellulitis can be to treat. She wondered about using the MERCY body wash prior to applying the prescribed antibiotic ointment. Then she mused about adding Benchmark Thyme to the body wash.

 In MidApril she wrote:

Thought you would like to know that i made a 1% dilution with the benchmark thyme and liquid castile soap for my mom. She has had cellulitis in both legs. She washes with it twice a day before doing her ace wraps and feels like it has really helped to clear up the infection. She wondered if she could use it in place of mercy soap for the perineal area she loves it so much. Is 1% dilution good for that? She loves the smell which is funny because she doesn't love many smells.  I am very excited to hear her legs are getting better. So wish i had thought to have her take before and after pics. She has also taken an antibiotic but in my experiences with cellulitis patients, it does not resolve quickly."
to which I replied:
And the only answer I can give is "I don't know"... it's a lower dilution..  my instinct says 'try it and see...  The MERCY has been keeping her clear of UTI's, right?    two thoughts..  we will only know that it is NOT working if she gets another infection... I hate that..but there is truly no way to test it that I have access to.  (in Europe they could culture, to an 'aromatogram' and see specificially what bacteria and what oils... I can't do that.
so.. either try it and see..
or...  am thinking you could split the difference??? blend = amts of the benchmark 1% in castile  with the MERCY cleanser..  that would 1/2 the strength of EACH... but would give you some synergistic benefits..
or... try just the benchmark blend... if infections start again... try the second option???
 sorry...but this is just beyond me, so I'm just tossing out suggestions..

In MidMay Brenda wrote:

So this is my thought....
If cellulitis keeps coming back and you have to keep taking antibiotics etc what do we have to lose trying the mercy gel twice a day to tackle the problem? If it doesn't work it doesn't work. My only question for you is could this SAFELY be applied twice a day, allowed to dry and then her ace wraps on top? I am assuming its like a 3% dilution. Could I safely add in  another 1/2 cc per 100 ml of benchmark thyme?
I gotta try something to break the cycle. Antibacterial oils make more sense than steroid cream!
to which I replied that I didn't KNOW...my concern would be irritating the already damaged skin.  Her mother had been through major surgeries, has had a LOT of medical issues this year and this cellulitus, while not as immediately life threatening as some of her other issues was an ongoing challenge.

Today, June 4th Brenda Emailed:

I have to tell you the best news..... The mercy gel did the trick. My mom said it helped more with her cellulitis than anything she tried (steroid cream prescribed) and now she is not wrapping her legs or wearing support hose. It was worth the gamble. I will be spreading the word in my home health world!!!  She put in on twice a day( after washing with mercy soap) let it dry a few minutes and wrapped her legs with ace bandages. She said the healing was amazing. She is going to continue using soap and gel twice daily since cellulitis tends to keep coming back. And yes you can quote me and share this testimonial. I ordered the gel in desperation when she told me she finished oral antibiotics with no change.

Thank you for such awesome products!
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!  Because of Brenda's tenacity and ingenuity, it worked.
There is noting in the world as rewarding as knowing that our products have truly made a difference in someone's life and wellbeing!

1 comment:

Sue Pace said...

Wonderful!!