Wednesday, April 30, 2008

re-usuable money stretcher

we can re-use our empty nature's gift bottles for all sorts of things.
after using all the product from one of our bottles with a treatment pump i cleaned it out thoroughly and refilled it with a diluted version of my hair conditioner. my hair is very long, and needs conditioning frequently, but not everyday. it does, however, need to be untangled. by diluting my favorite over the counter conditioner about 50-50 with H2O i had the perfect consistency to use on the ends of my hair as a detangling agent.
if i buy super size bottles of conditioner i can decant small amounts of it into one of our bottles with a lotion pump to more easily use in the shower.
if you love to use the old timey hair rinses try the atomizer top bottle as a spray.
the atomizer top especially has many uses: filled with water and handy for misting your houseplants. homemade pet spray is easily dispensed with it, too. if you work in watercolors it's a great spray for your creative endeavors.
i shouldn't neglect to mention the disc lid which was the first of our tops i experimented with for re-use. one of our used bottles with a disc lid dispenses my dishwashing liquid. i could go on and on.
i'm interested to know if you have any ideas about re-using our packaging. use your imagination, and please let me know what you come up with in the comments area. we might put it in our newsletter as we move forward into the "green age"!
bright blessings to you-
t

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Marge , its Dannie from Natural foods Warehouse in Atlanta GA. I ask everyone that buys an oil to bring the empty bottles back to the store. For every 5 they bring back I give them 15% off an aromatherapy blend that I make just for them. I also reuse the bottles for when I make blends.

Anonymous said...

I reuse the spritzers for my homemade deoderant. I keep trying new combinations of whatever EO I want, mixed with food grade pure grain alcohol and H2O or a hydrosol. I'd love to see more info on creating your own deoderant. One of my favorites ... lavender and rose. HeatherN

Marge said...

(I posted this last week, and it seems to have vanished!) My newest Daughter-in-law uses our small 4 and 2 ounce jars (once she's used up all the Baby Bottom Balm they contained)to create a rhythm band for Chelsea (Just turned 2.) She puts a few dried beans, peas, pebbles, perhaps an empty spool, anything that will make noise when shaken, into the jar, and either glues the cover on or seals it VERY tightly with tape. She makes very sure she's created a "childproof jar" before turning Chelsea loose with them.

Stackable, rollable, great little maracas.

Marge said...

(I posted this last week, and it seems to have vanished!) My newest Daughter-in-law uses our small 4 and 2 ounce jars (once she's used up all the Baby Bottom Balm they contained)to create a rhythm band for Chelsea (Just turned 2.) She puts a few dried beans, peas, pebbles, perhaps an empty spool, anything that will make noise when shaken, into the jar, and either glues the cover on or seals it VERY tightly with tape. She makes very sure she's created a "childproof jar" before turning Chelsea loose with them.

Stackable, rollable, great little maracas.

Marge said...

(Well, so now it is posted twice. Computers...they lull you into a sense of false security...and then they POUNCE when you least expect it.)

More about packaging. Yes, we use a LOT of those infernal packing peanuts. It's important that your bottles, jars, etc arrive unbroken.

The packing peanuts that we use are cellulose based, and fully biodegradable. (Drop one in a sink of water and see!)